Communication: Whom to Contact, How to Reach Them
At School Board meetings
Each regular meeting offers an opportunity for members of the audience to address the School Board. Anyone who wishes to address the Board may do so according to the “Guidelines for Audience Opportunity to Address the School Board”.
The School Board's group e-mail address is OsseoSchoolBoard@district279.org. When you use this e-mail address, your message will go directly to every School Board member, with a copy going to the superintendent. In most cases, within three business days you will receive a specific reply from the School Board chair, responding on behalf of the full Board.
Individual School Board members may be contacted as follows:
By US Mail or fax
Questions or comments for the School Board can be mailed or faxed to the address below:
ISD 279 - Osseo Area Schools
11200 - 93rd Avenue North
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Sharing questions or concerns
In many cases, questions or concerns can be most effectively handled by district staff who have specific knowledge about the relevant issue.
If your question or comment is related to:
- Classroom issues: Please contact your student’s classroom teacher first. If you need further assistance resolving your concern, please contact the school principal.
- School issues: Please contact the school principal first. If you need further assistance resolving your concern, please contact the superintendent’s office at 763.391.7003.
- Operational or management issues: Please contact the staff person closest to that area of interest, or e-mail WeListen@district279.org and your message will be forwarded to the appropriate staff member.
- District-level issues: Please contact the administrator responsible for the relevant area. If you need further assistance resolving your concern, please contact the superintendent’s office at 763.391.7003.
During the COVID-19 pandemic
During the COVID-19 pandemic, board meetings are being held by videoconference. The following information describes how to submit comments to be shared in regular school board meetings when pandemic-related precautions prevent meetings from taking place in person.
Community members can submit comments online to be read aloud by a staff member or leave a voicemail message to be played at the meeting.
Submit comments using an online form or by calling 763-391-7003 and leaving a voicemail message. Comments (including your name) read or played at board meetings are accessible to all members of the public via livestream and archived video on the district website.
Please note the following parameters for submitting comments:
- Comments submitted to be shared in the public forum must comply with the Guidelines for Addressing the Board (see below).
- Comments submitted using the online form are limited to 3000 characters. Voicemail messages will be played for up to 3 minutes, so please keep that in mind as you are leaving your message.
- The chair will accept comments in the order submitted (based on timestamps) within the 20 minutes of time allowed for this agenda item, subject to the discretion of the chair.
- Comments that do not comply with guidelines and/or those submitted after 12:00 p.m. on the date of the meeting will not be shared in the public forum but will be provided to board members after the meeting.
When in-person meetings resume
In the interest of community engagement, the Osseo School Board provides an opportunity for members of the audience to address the Board as follows:
- Anyone who wishes to address the Board must complete a Speaker Card and submit it to the School Board chair prior to the start of the meeting. (Speaker Cards are available on the public information table, by the meeting handouts.) Once the Audience Opportunity to Address the School Board has begun, no additional cards will be accepted.
- The Board Chair (or designee) will call on each speaker who has submitted a Speaker Card, first calling on those addressing an item included in the current agenda, followed by those addressing topics not on the current agenda.
- Speakers will be called in the following order:
- Parents/guardians of students
- District employees
- District residents
- All others
- When called upon, please state your name and topic. All remarks should be addressed to the Board as a whole, not to any specific member(s) or to any person who is not a member of the Board.
- If more than three individuals have organized to speak on the same topic, please designate a spokesperson who can summarize the issue.
- Please limit your comments to three minutes. Longer time may be granted at the discretion of the Board Chair.
- During this agenda item (normally not to exceed 20 minutes, subject to the discretion of the chair), the Board and administration will listen to comments, ask clarifying questions if needed, and respond when appropriate. The Board Chair may delegate responsibility to the superintendent or the superintendent’s designee to follow up with the speaker within a few days following the meeting.
- Comments and interactions between Board members and the public are expected to be respectful, courteous, professional, and civil. The Board Chair will be responsible for ensuring that interaction meets these standards and will disallow inappropriate interaction. In particular, speakers may not address criticism toward an individual district employee; such concerns should be directed privately to the employee’s supervisor or higher-level administrator.
- Personnel concerns should be directed to individuals in the following order: building principal, executive director for human resources, assistant superintendent, superintendent, and finally in writing to the School Board.